Sunday, July 09, 2006

Aww Power Plants

I work for a company whose business it is, is to solve problems which power plants run into. I was at a power plant on Thursday in southern Ohio. I was there for the WHOLE day. We arrived at about 10:45 am and did not leave until about 12:45 am Friday morning. I didn't get home until almost 3 in the morning. Luckily I work for a great boss and he gave me Friday off. Now don't think I am complaining here, I'm NOT. I had great time of learning about the boiler front. It was a great learning experiene for me. This particular boiler has 6 elevatitions of 8 lighters. Needless to say it is a good size unit. I was able to observe setting up oil guns and spark rods. I actually was able to set one elevation's spark rods and oil guns at the correct length. There is a lot that goes into lighting off a boiler. Pretty much it comes down to have the correct oil and air pressure to produce the best flame. (There is more to it than just that, that was my simple explanation to it.)

The fire that is lit is like no other fire I have ever seen in my life. It is intense. Bright. Not as bright as looking into the sun on a clear day, but none the less it is bright.

I can't wait until my next opportunity to head back to a power plant.

-later from the "pink house"

No comments: