Friday, September 19, 2008

How bout them Cubbies

I've been a Cubs fan for longest time since the early 90's from the days of Ryan Sandberg, Mark Grace, and even Sammy Sosa. I've never been to Wrigley Field but I hope one day I will be able to watch the Cubs play a game there. I have been to one Cubs game in my life, I watched them play the Cardinals in St. Louis (the Cubs lost). The Cubs have been a sub par, below average team since I can remember. Amazingly during the last 2 seasons they have managed to turn things around. As of today their magic number is 2, they must win 2 games to clinch the NL East or if the Brewers lose today and the Cubs win today they will clinch it.

As of today the Cubs are 92-59 with a winning percentage of .609, they have the best record in the NL. They are 1/2 game behind the MLB best record of the LA Angels who are 93-59 with a winning percentage of .612. The Cubs have outscored their opponents by a margin of 185 runs, the best on the Majors. The next closest is the Boston Red Sox who have outscrored their opponents with a margin of 158 runs. I think the Cubs are in pretty good company.

The Cubs can try to play spoilers to both the Mets and the Brewers, the 2 teams in the hunt for the wild card spot right now. The Cubs play the Mets 4 more times and the Brewers 2 more times. The Astros are on the outside looking in (5 games behind the Mets) for the wild card but it could change. The Astro's have been given a 0.5% of making the postseason.

If I could think of any Cubs team to go the distance, I think this is the team that can do it. It's been a long, long time (1945) since they made it to the World Series.


I wish we could take some more cruises.